Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ad hoc Baking - Good Idea or Not?!?




I came home from work last night and saw 2 overripe bananas sitting on the counter and decided to make some Gluten-Free banana bread. Since I have good experience with my other gluten free baking. I figured that it should not be too difficult to make banana bread. May be I am a little bit over confidence?!?

Without any recipe, I pulled out all the necessary ingredient for baking and figure out what I need.
  1. I go for my gluten-free items: my silkie flour mix which includes brown rice flour, white rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, potato starch and xanthan gum. 
  2. I pulled out other necessary ingredients for baking, such as baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, sugar and salt.
  3. I went to my fridge and pull out eggs, unsalted butter and sour cream just in case. 
  4. I pulled out my loaf pan for baking
After I have all the ingredient layout in front of me, I started to guess what I need and try to work my magic. I knew the oven needed to be 350 degree and I know a typical banana bread will probably take about 1 hr.

After putting everything together and looked at the batter. The batter looked normal in the pan so I put it in the oven. I checked my banana bread after 20 mins and I realized that the top of it was getting really brown and I thought to myself, 'it doesn't look too good.' But I kept going for an hour. After the timer went off, I checked my "masterpiece". It looked very brown on top but it was not completely cook through. So I decided to put my banana bread in for another 15 minutes. At the end, my banana bread has finally cooked.

I let my very brown banana bread rest for 5 minutes before transferring to the wire rack. What the bread looked like to me at that point was a piece of brown brick. It was not the best thing to look at. After all my success in GF baking so far. This banana bread was a little bit of a disappointment. I was at the point to toss the "brick" away; however, I decided to at least taste it.

I cut a slice out from my brown brick and realized it is actually very nice looking inside and very moist. I took a bit of the banana bread and it tasted delicious. It bring my spirit up a little bit. The only comment I  have was the texture seemed a little bit of heavy. I figured I can probably alter the ingredient a little bit and try it again next time.

So my verdict of my ad hoc banana bread is 'Look bad, Texture OK, Taste Good' and it is definitely a 'Try Again' recipe. I will post a recipe once I refined my GF banana bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment